Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Recent Swap-ventures

Well, I haven't done too much crafting over the summer.  Why is it that when I have unlimited free time, my craftiness goes on a vacation?  It was probably sipping drinks with little umbrellas on a beach somewhere, ogling the half-naked cabana boys.  Disgraceful.

Now that I'm back to work, though, I've been hit with the crafting bug and have signed up for a few swaps.  Yay!

Until I get partners for those, though, here are a few things I made in the spring:

For the Geezer Swap, I made a car organizer with matching trash bin.  This was my first time really working with binding tape and I'm really pleased with how it came out.  I learned a lot and I got my corners all mitered, which makes me very happy.  I think my partner liked it, too, which is always a good thing.

This was also my first time using hardware.  Okay, D-rings, so nothing too difficult, but I was happy nonetheless.  I really like the contrast of the fabrics- the floral fabric as little spots of pink, so it really goes well together.

For the trash bag, I melted contact paper onto the fabric.  I don't know how it'll hold up in super hot cars, but if it could withstand the iron (through fabric - not directly), I think it'll be okay.  And it should wipe out easily from icky foods.  That's the one thing I never understood about car trash cans - they were made from fabric and yet difficult to clean.

The round bottom was a challenge to sew as it was my first time doing something like that, but it turned out pretty well.  If anyone has any suggestions for sewing circles, I'd be happy to hear them, though.  

Apparently my partner's sons were fighting over it (and it's pink, no less!)  I take that as the ultimate compliment.

For the Crazy for Christmas Swap, I got to explore some craftiness when I made a wreath for my partner.  I really like how it came out, as well as its versatility.

I took a foam wreath form and covered it in twill tape that I dyed using tea so it wasn't stark white.  Then I cut out flowers and leaves from different color felt and used different color buttons and floral pins to stick them on.  I also made (and hot-glued) different color ribbons, too.

By using the floral pins, she can change it with the seasons, which I think is fun.   I've got another wreath form waiting to make another (though this time I'm using regular ribbon.  We'll see how it goes!)

Those are the highlights.  I was in another swap, but forgot to take pictures.  Ah well.  Live and learn.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment