Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Tomato Vegetable Lentil and Rice Soup




One of my all-time favorite soups is based on the Tomato Vegetable Lentil recipe from a cookbook called Soup Makes the Meal.  Over the years, I've changed it so it's more my own - adding some things, leaving others out.  I make it almost every week to take for lunch.  You'd think I'd get sick of it by now, but I haven't!

Here is my version of Tomato Vegetable Lentil soup!

Ingredients:



10 cups of chicken broth (use vegetable to make this vegetarian/vegan!)
1 T olive oil
2 large carrots, peeled and diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1-2 potatoes (depending on size), peeled and chopped
1 cup lentils
1 can of diced tomatoes (low sodium if you can)
1/2 cup of rice (uncooked) (I've also used barley, which is fun, too)
1 bay leaf
1/2 t. dried thyme
1/2 t. basil
1/4 t. red pepper flakes (or less - adjust to your taste)
1/4 t. black pepper


1. Chop carrots, onions and celery.




2. Put olive oil into stock pot along with chopped veggies and garlic.  Add all herbs now, too.  (I do it early so I don't forget!)  Saute until onions are tender.


3. Add chicken (or vegetable) broth and bring to boil.




4. Add lentils and rice.  Simmer 10-15 minutes.




5. Dice potatoes and add to pot.  Simmer 15 minutes.



6. Add can of tomatoes (with juice if you like a tang to your soups!) and simmer an additional 10 minutes.

7.  Taste and adjust seasonings.




This makes at least 10 one-cup servings, but I usually portion mine directly into tupperware to take to work throughout the week!  It tastes even better after reheating!  Oh and serving it with a crusty bread is so yum!


I hope you enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment